The J-Walk Blog posted some funny "We were so poor..." jokes, Here's a bit of a taste...
- People saw us kicking a can down the street and asked what we were doing...we said "Moving"
- We hung the toilet paper out to dry.
- We couldn't pay attention.
- We made a hole in the kitchen wall, behind the cooker, and we used to dip our bread in next door's gravy!
- We leave my door unlocked. A burglar might come in and lose some of his change.
- My grandma went to the local government office and said: "I hear y'all declared a war on poverty. Did we win?"
- The dog got nervous every year at Thanksgiving.
- We had to borrow a few beans, to make the gas for a fire.