Pages

Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Aquarium lover

In June of 1975 I had a pretty nasty accident while driving my motorcycle and my broken leg didn't heal properly for nearly a year. I couldn't get around very well (on crutches), so it made for some interesting stories.

For Christmas in '75 my wife bought me my first aquarium and I've had one ever since. But getting the aquarium set up, water loaded in and fish placed into the tank was a bit of a trick. One day while I was cleaning the tank, one of the fish jumped out (without my knowing it), and shortly thereafter I stomped on the fish with my foot (in the cast). My wife thinks that story is hilarious and she tells it often.

That first tank was just 15 gallons, but later I went to a 55-gallon tank and tried salt water fish. I loved the tank - had fancy filters and fancier lights - had an anemone or two and several expensive fish - coral skeletons for decorations - lots of equipment and lots of expenditures.

But keeping a salt water aquarium is an expensive and dedicated hobby. After a couple of years I didn't spend so much time taking care of the tank and the algae took over and killed the fish.

Today I have the aquarium in the family room with just a few fresh-water fish - angels, black shark, plecostomous, etc. and it is pretty easy to care for. Once a month I change the filters and and maybe every two weeks I top off the water, but I would miss it if it was gone.

When my wife and I travel I like to visit the huge aquariums housed in places like New Orleans, Epcott Center, Las Vegas, etc. Thus it was kind of fun for me to run across a set of 50 photos of aquariums on the web. You might, or might not appreciate such stuff, but click on the image to link to the photo set, if you're interested.

No comments: