Pages

Monday, October 09, 2006

Joke Time

Sir Edgbert, knight of the realm, was hurrying home on a cold, dark, wet night when, suddenly, his horse suffered a major coronary and died on the spot. All Sir Edgbert could do was collect up what belongings he could and tramp onwards.

After staggering for a spell, he decided that he must get alternative transport. Accordingly, he headed for the nearest building which, as luck would have it, was a small farm. He strode up to the door, banged on it, and shouted: "A horse! A horse! I must have a horse!"

The door opened to reveal a young girl. She looked at Sir Edgbert and said, "Your pardon, good knight, but my father and brothers are returning from the village on the other side of the forest and will not be back before noon tomorrow. They are riding all our horses."

"But I must return home immediately! Have you any idea where I may acquire alternative transportation?"

"I know of no other horses hereabouts," said the comely lass, "but sometimes my brothers ride our Great Dane dog when the need arises. Would that help?"

Sir Edgbert was desperate: "If I must, I must. Show me the animal."

The young girl lead the way around to the back of the farmhouse. She disappeared for a few moments inside the stable, only to return leading an enormous dog which was quite of a size for riding. Unfortunately, the dog had seen better days. Its coat was threadbare, its legs were spindly, and it seemed to be breathing laboriously.

Sir Edgbert looked at the young girl forlornly: "Surely, you wouldn't send a knight out on a dog like this?"

No comments: